Under supervision and according to established procedures, is responsible for the safe operation of a variety of equipment (i.e., pick up trucks, mowers, dump trucks, tractors, etc.) in completing assigned work projects. Responsible for the maintenance of city parks, ball fields, playgrounds, park buildings, golf courses, and other specialized facilities as assigned.
1. Operates a variety of maintenance and automotive equipment such as farm tractors, dump trucks, lawn mowers, snow removal equipment, and pick up trucks, in order to maintain the Bettendorf Park System.
2. Mowing and trimming of city owned property.
3. Garbage/trash pick up within parks and facilities.
4. Maintenance of ball fields, playgrounds, golf courses, and other facilities as assigned.
5. Address all citizens in a polite and courteous manner.
6. Operation of all equipment in a safe manner.
7. Obey all safety rules.
8. Reports any problems witnessed in the parks to their supervisor.
9. Performs minor repair and preventative maintenance on equipment and vehicles. Attaches, removes, and maintains mowers, plows, sprayers, changes oil, filters, blades, etc.
10. Performs cleaning and housekeeping of shelters and restroom facilities.
11. Performs related duties as assigned.
Education: The job requires a level of knowledge normally acquired through completion of an elementary school education.
Experience: A minimum of two mowing seasons experience in operation of tractors, mowers, specialized/heavy equipment, and other various heavy equipment is required. A valid Iowa operators license is required.
Interpersonal Skills: The ability to communicate effectively and to interact with citizens and fellow employees.
Analytical Skills: The job requires the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and the ability to perform minor equipment maintenance and repair.
Working Conditions: Job requires working outside in some undesirable conditions. Requires ability to lift 40 pounds or more, heavy hand tools, i.e.: shovels, etc.