Working under the supervision of supervision the Restoration Program Manager is responsible for assisting with the implementation of restoration efforts within the City parks and public areas. This includes following all established rules, procedures, and safety requirements.
1. Assists with the implementation of a basic schedule of activities and is responsible for carrying out tasks that contribute to the restoration of Forest Grove Park and other areas as stated in the management plan or as directed by the Parks Maintenance Division Manager or Restoration Program Manager.
2. Participates with in-service training needed to do their jobs.
3. Assists with implementation of the day to day program, including: invasive species and downed tree removal, trash and brush pick up, trail development and maintenance, herbicide application, and interaction with full time City staff and consultants.
4. Participates in weekly staff meetings throughout the program.
5. May work with the following equipment at times:Utility vehicles, GPS units, hand saws, shovels, loppers, rakes, weed eaters, mowers, and other various hand and power tools.
6. Submits all required paperwork.
Education: A level of knowledge normally acquired through the completion of college course work with an emphasis in Landscape Architecture, Biology, Forestry, Natural Resource Management, or a closely related field.
Experience: Through education, work and personal experience must possess a working knowledge in the identification, management and restoration of Midwest plants and ecosystems. Six months to one year of previous experience working with natural area management or restoration efforts preferred.
Interpersonal Skills: The job requires the ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing with volunteers (including youths), and staff.
Working Conditions: The Technician must be able to work outside in sometimes hot/humid, cold/wet and insect infested conditions. They will be exposed to toxic plants such as poison ivy and wild parsnip. They will be required to traverse difficult terrain.
Job Requirements: Requires the ability to solve non-routine and non-reoccurring problems. Must be able to follow established rules and procedures. Must be able to lift 75 lbs such as seeds sacks, tools, etc.
Reports to: (1) Restoration Program Manager, (2) Parks Maintenance Division Manager
This is a seasonal full-time, non-civil service, non-union position. This position may also be considered for year round part-time. This position is open until filled. The City of Bettendorf is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. The City of Bettendorf complies with American with Disabilities Act.