The Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator is responsible for assisting with the coordination of, development of, safety training for users, and the promotion of recreational trails, bike-lanes, separated trails, sidewalks and all other modes of alternative transportation to help provide a positive, healthy environment for all citizens of the Bettendorf community.
1. Plans and manages events and new programs in the areas of alternative transportation accommodations, safety, and education, and works with other outside groups to accomplish the same.
2. Responsible for publicizing BBPC events, including via Bettendorf social media sources.
3. Assists with the evaluation, implementation and coordination of the trails system.
4. Assists with the evaluation of transportation infrastructure and park infrastructure projects to best accommodate alternative transportation modes.
5. Assists in developing and distributing educational materials regarding alternative transportation usage and safety in the community.
6. Shall attend BBPC meetings, set and post agendas, take and post monthly minutes.
7. Assists with the implementation of the BBPC goals and objectives.
8. Responsible for the coordination of Bicycle Friendly City applications.
9. Shall attend Bettendorf Development Review Committee, Bettendorf Park Board, and other meetings when appropriate and as directed by the Parks and Recreation Director.
10. Shall present a professional image when dealing with the public, staff,
committees, and outside organizations.
EDUCATION: This job requires a high school education and some college or technical school credits. Should have a working knowledge of basic rules, regulations, and laws for federal, state, and local entities applicable to alternative transportation. A working knowledge of computers, including word processing skills, Excel, Publisher, website maintenance, and social media proficiency, is preferred.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of 2 to 3 years experience in working with volunteer groups and a working knowledge of cycling and other modes of alternative transportation. Should be familiar with local alternative transportation and recreation organizations.
INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: The job requires the ability to communicate effectively with the public, BBPC Committee members, Parks and Recreation, Police, Public Works, and Community Development Departments, and other City staff, and outside organizations.
ANALYTICAL ABILITY: The job requires the ability to assist with the interpretation and communication of all City policies, rules, and regulations in regard to alternative transportation and to coordinate special events and activities, and educational efforts.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The job requires standing, walking, bending, lifting up to 60 pounds, and pushing equipment, carts, etc.
WRITING SKILLS: The job requires the ability to organize thoughts clearly and concisely, and have an understanding of the electronic and print media.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The City of Bettendorf is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. The City of Bettendorf complies with American with Disabilities Act.