Under general direction of the Public Works Construction Supervisor, performs inspection and quality assurance on public works and development sites and projects. Conducts tests of construction materials. Ensures tests are conducted in accordance with standard methods. Analyzes test results and identified discrepancies in test results. Alerts contractors of discrepancies in test results.
1. Inspects construction sites and projects for conformance to plans and specifications.
2. Tests construction materials, selects sample materials, makes concrete test cylinders, or beams and operates test equipment.
3. Analyzes test results, identifies test discrepancies, verifies the reliability of the discrepancies and informs contractor or the contractor's representative of the discrepancy.
4. Ensures that tests are conducted in accordance with Standard Specifications and methods and that test samples are properly cured and transported to the testing laboratory.
5. Advises the Supervisor, Public Works Construction of deviations from plans and specifications.
6. Maintains accurate records of work performed, uncorrected irregularities, and lost time due to inclement weather.
7. Operates snow removal equipment such as pick-up truck with snow-plow and snow-blowers, as required.
8. Must be able to obtain a PCCI, HMAI and an AGGI within three (3) years of hire.
9. Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Education: Requires a level of knowledge normally acquired through the successful completion of high school or a GED equivalency. Requires the completion of the Civil Service examination and meeting additional requirements as stated in the Code of Iowa.
Experience: Three (3) years of responsible experience in paving and/or sewer construction or other municipal and public works projects experience. Ability to demonstrate an understanding of construction principles and practices is required. Has the ability to operate a personal computer using program applications, such as Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook), and other software appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities. The successful candidate must possess a valid driver’s license.
Interpersonal Skills: Requires excellent interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with co-workers, other City employees, contractors, vendors and respond to requests made by the general public. Must be an effective team player and requires the ability to work independently.
Analytical Ability: Requires the ability to select random samples, conduct various tests, and analyze test results. Identifies discrepancies in test results and uses intermediate mathematics to calculate quantities and volumes.
Working Conditions: Requires the ability to work outdoors in a wide range of weather conditions ranging from mild to severe. This position will be required to work long hours during the construction season, including Saturdays. Exposed to potentially caustic chemicals, raw sewerage and storm water. Requires occasional heavy exertion involving the lifting of manhole covers and catch basin grates sometimes weighing over 100 pounds.
Applications will be accepted until April 25, 2018 5:00 PM. The City of Bettendorf is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. The City of Bettendorf complies with American with Disabilities Act.