Prepares maps, drawings and plans for municipal projects and reproduces prepared materials using reproduction equipment. Inspects construction sites and projects. Conducts tests of construction materials and analyzes results and identifies discrepancies. Conducts stadia and topographical surveys. Holds range poles, level rods, operates measuring devices, takes notes and ensures the accuracy of recorded survey coordinates. Maintains engineering division records and files, requisitions supplies and materials. Ensures all equipment and instruments are properly maintained and stored. Updates the City’s Graphic Information System parcel and infrastructure base map.
1. Prepares maps, drawings and plans for municipal projects using drafting equipment and computer software. Ensures prepared materials are neat and accurate. Performs designs of roadway and sewer projects.
2. Reproduces drawings, maps and plans using reproduction equipment and performs simple maintenance of department equipment.
3. Inspects construction sites and projects for conformance to plans and specifications.
4. Tests construction materials, selects sample materials, operates testing equipment and analyzes test results and identifies discrepancies.
5. Assists in conducting stadia and topographic surveys, sets lines and grades, takes cross sections and field notes, measures areas, sets construction control stakes and operates surveying instruments and equipment.
6. Utilizes generic and proprietary software in the preparation of project drawings and plans.
7. Ensures the accuracy of recorded survey coordinates.
8. Maintains records and files for City projects, costs and plans for completed projects.
9. Ensures that all equipment and instruments are properly maintained, serviced and stored.
10. Maintains and updates a city parcel map on AutoCAD software. This includes, but is not limited to, addition and maintenance of digital line work for new subdivisions, storm and sanitary sewers, easements, city limit and ward boundaries.
11. Helps maintain the public works component of the City’s Graphic Information System (GIS). Assists others in obtaining data from GIS. Writes computer programs to utilize GIS.
12. Maintains and updates the City’s Cartegraph Sewer and Utility Assets database and it’s correlation with the City GIS system.
13. Coordinates with the Construction Inspection Department to keep track of all project and subdivision “as-built” information. This is for the purpose of translating the information to the formats necessary for the Asset management software and other necessary databases, scanning plans and documents for image placement on the City server for easier retrieval, creating per lot drawings of subdivision lateral locations for dissemination to contractors and residents
14. Manages the City Annual Sidewalk repair program. This includes assessing the annual project needs of the City wide network of sidewalks and pedestrian ramps, contractor bid preparation, project inspection, pay estimates and communicating with property owners and other contractors.
15. Order and maintain drafting room supplies such as scales and related drafting equipment, plotter ink and plotter roll stock paper. Also orders surveyor’s supplies as needed such as lath and hubs, survey equipment and maintenance and other related necessities.
16. Process the annual subscription updates for drafting room software.
17. Operates snow removal equipment such as pick-up truck with snow-plow and snow- blowers, as required.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Requires a level of knowledge normally acquired through the successful completion of two (2) years of technical school with emphasis in engineering technology. Requires a successful completion of the Civil Service examination and meeting additional requirements as stated in the Code of Iowa.
Experience: Requires five (5) to seven (7) years of progressively more responsible and varied work experience involving drafting, computer aide drafting, surveying and municipal construction inspection. Displays demonstrated knowledge of municipal construction and inspection principles and practices, the ability to read and interpret construction plans and specifications as well as the ability to draft with ink or pencil on a variety of drafting materials. Possesses a valid driver’s license.
Interpersonal Skills: Requires excellent interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with co-workers, other City employees, contractors, residents and respond to requests made by the general public. Must be an effective team player and requires the ability to work independently.
Analytical Ability: Requires the ability to use intermediate mathematic algebra and trigonometry. Reduces actual dimensions into proportional scale and translates numerical representations into graphic depictions. Calculates distances and elevations and translates survey coordinates into field construction staking. Analyzes test results of construction materials and identifies discrepancies in test results.
Working Conditions: Requires work to be performed within a normal office environment and will work outdoors when inspecting work and gathering project planning information. May be exposed to a wide range of weather conditions and exposure to caustic materials and chemicals. Position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, and turning, kneeling, bending, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in using a computer keyboard. Additionally, the position requires near and far vision in reading reports and work related documents and using a computer. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal customer service. The need to lift, drag and push files, paper, books and documents weighing up to 25 pounds is also required. Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodation.
Work Schedule: Generally 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday with a half-hour unpaid lunch. Hours may vary based on flexible scheduling or needs of the department. Must be available outside of and in addition to these hours for City meetings and emergency activities.
This is a full-time, union, civil service position. Applications will be accepted until April 26, 2018 5:00 PM. The City of Bettendorf is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. The City of Bettendorf complies with American with Disabilities Act.