Under general direction and supervision, performs a variety of routine, manual, custodial, or servicing tasks in support of the Public Works Department.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES PERFORMED:
(Duties may include but are not limited to the following)
1. Lift and load yard waste bags and bundled branches into a rear load garbage truck.
2. Step into and out of a garbage truck cab and walk to the back of the truck to collect yard waste and/or bulky waste items.
3. Assist in using a power washer to clean garbage, recycling carts, and snow removal equipment.
4. Makes repairs to garbage and recycling carts as necessary.
5. Assists in performing maintenance activities involving asphalt pothole repair, crack sealing and concrete repair or preventative maintenance.
6. Cuts weeds and trims trees within the right-of-way and in City parks.
7. Performs trash pick-up around City facilities and parks; assists in cleaning facilities, spraying of chemicals, and painting.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Requires a level of knowledge normally acquired through the successful completion of high school or a GED equivalency.
Experience: Knowledge in general maintenance and operation of light lawn equipment and mowers
License or Certificate: Must be 18 years of age and hold a valid driver’s license. Must pass a driving records check and, if hired, maintain a driving record that meets City’s standard.
Analytical Abilities: Requires the ability to operate equipment and tools in such a manner as to prevent injury to self, co-workers, property and equipment.
Interpersonal Skills: Requires excellent interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with co-workers, other city employees, and respond to requests made by the general public. Must be an effective team player and requires the ability to work independently.
Working Conditions: Requires sustained constant lifting, twisting, throwing, or handling of yard waste and/or refuse material varying from ground height to approximately thirty six inches (36”) height into packers. Repetition of handling items on average of 75 - 95 times per hour. Tree branches vary in size, but may be up to six inches in diameter, no longer than five feet, and weigh in excess of forty (40) pounds. Frequent climbing on and off the packers ranging from one step to twenty four inches (24”). Frequent pushing, pulling and grasping are required in the operation of dumping into the trucks, and operating truck controls. Performs the majority of work assignment outdoors in all weather conditions ranging from mild to severe.
This is a full-time, seasonal position. Applications will be accepted until filled. City of Bettendorf is an equal opportunity employer and complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act.