Primary job duty is to safely operate a City transit bus while maintaining the most accurate schedule possible.
1. Operates transit buses on City and nearby roadways according to an established route and schedule.
2. Stops transit bus at designated areas and assists passengers to safely enter the vehicle. Operates wheelchair lift as required to help passengers enter the vehicle.
3. Collects punch passes, monthly passes, and ensures accurate payment of transit fares.
4. Sells punch passes and monthly passes to passengers.
5. Monitors behavior of passengers, ensuring that they remain seated and follow proper safety precautions.
6. Provides transfers, route schedules, maps, directions, and other information requested by passengers.
7. Responsible for daily inspection of vehicle, prior to beginning route schedule, in order to ensure proper mechanical operation.
8. Reports any mechanical problems to Operations Coordinator.
9. Responsible for refueling the bus at the end of the day.
10. Maintains records of passenger usage; reports traffic accidents and stalled vehicles to Operations Coordinator and performs related job duties as assigned.
11. Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Education: Requires a level of knowledge normally acquired through the successful completion of high school or a GED equivalency.
Experience: Must possess, and maintain throughout the duration of employment, a valid Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), with passenger endorsement. The physical ability to operate a transit vehicle and to assist passengers in and out of the vehicle is also required.
Analytical Abilities: The ability to follow oral and written procedures and instructions and understand road signs.
Interpersonal Skills: Requires excellent interpersonal skills necessary to listen and effectively communicate with a variety of individuals. Must be an effective team player and requires the ability to work independently.
Working Conditions: Required to operate a motor vehicle safely in all weather conditions and sit for extended periods of time.
This is a part-time, union position. Applications will be accepted until February 22nd, 2019 at 5 PM. The City of Bettendorf is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. The City of Bettendorf complies with American with Disabilities Act.