Operates light maintenance equipment to maintain and repair City streets, alleys, properties and easements; performs related work as required.
1. Repairs and maintains City streets, alleys, recreational trails, properties, and easements. Performs pavement and pothole patching to ensure the safety of the motoring public. Performs crack sealing and other preventative maintenance activities as necessary.
2. Operates light maintenance trucks such as loader, snow plow, street sweeper, air-compressor, roller, flusher, pickup trucks, dump trucks and light tractors.
3. Operates hand-operated equipment including, but not limited, a jackhammer, chain saw, manual telescoping saw, cut-off saw, wrenches, concrete saw, cutting torch, shovels, picks, sledge hammers, and other miscellaneous equipment.
4. Performs tree cutting and removal as necessary.
5. Plows snow, spreads de-icing materials, loads salt, connects and disconnects snow removal equipment on primary vehicle.
6. Provides before and after vehicle check according to checklist. Writs vehicle condition report as needed.
7. Washes and cleans equipment as needed.
8. Operates equipment and vehicles in such a manner as to prevent injury to self, coworkers, property and equipment. This includes parameters for mandatory personal protective equipment (PPE) to perform all job related duties.
9. Performs the duties of a Sanitation Worker as necessary.
10. Timely attendance is mandatory for emergency snow removal operations.
11. Additional emergency operations may be mandatory in the event of a crisis, such as acts of nature like floods, tornados or other storms. This may include sandbagging, or other cleanup detail as assigned.
12. Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Education: Requires a level of knowledge normally acquired through the successful completion of high school or a GED equivalency. This position requires the successful completion of the Iowa Civil Service examination, meeting additional requirements stated in the Code of Iowa. Must possess, and maintain throughout the duration of employment, a valid Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), with air brake and tank endorsements.
Experience: Requires six (6) to twelve (12) months experience operating light equipment and trucks.
Analytical Abilities: Requires the ability to operate equipment and tools in such manner as to prevent injury to self, co-workers, property and equipment.
Interpersonal Skills: Requires excellent interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with co-workers, other City employees, contractors, residents and respond to requests made by the general public. Must be an effective team player and requires the ability to work independently.
Working Conditions: Requires extensive standing, bending, stooping, pulling, pushing and lifting of materials and equipment ranging in weight from under 1 pound to over 100 pounds from ground to approximately forty inches (40”) in height. Requires continuous standing for long periods of time. Sustained or repetitive reaching may be performed from ground to above shoulder height to complete tree trimming and other related repair tasks. Tool usage requires constant and repetitive grasp, and imparts segmental upper body vibration, which may be sustained for up to several hours. Frequent climbing is required on and off vehicles and equipment. Sustained driving of vehicles may be required for road repair or snow removal. Performs the majority of work assignment outdoors in all weather conditions ranging from mild to severe. Daily exposed to noise, dust, vibration and fumes.
Word Schedule: Generally 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday with a half hour unpaid lunch. Hours may vary based on flexible scheduling or needs of the department. Must be available outside of and in addition to these hours for weekend solid waste collection, City meetings and emergency activities. Will be required to be on call for snow removal from November 15 and ending March 31 of every year.
This is a full-time, civil service, union position. Applications will be accepted until January 25th, 2019 5 PM. The City of Bettendorf is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. The City of Bettendorf complies with American with Disabilities Act.